Saturday, July 01, 2006

Caring about Couture

In an effort to beat the heat today, my roommate and I decided to abandon our 88 degree apartment and find respite for two hours in a movie theatre. What with being chicks and all, we opted for a chick-flick--The Devil Wears Prada. (For those of you who haven't seen it yet, don't worry, I'm not going to give anything away.) It was a fun summer movie about a girl named Andy played by Anne Hathaway who goes to work at a fashion magazine to be assistant to an icy-cold ice queen played by Meryl Streep.

Streep is an absolute delight to watch. She is such a chameleon actress. Every character she plays is distinct and unique. Hathaway is winning as a recent college graduate with big dreams of becoming a journalist. Her detour into the world of fashion is what made the movie fun for me. She gets to wear the most beautiful designer clothes. The movie made me want to go spend money I don't have on gorgeous couture. Gucci handbags. Jimmy Choo stillettos.

By far the best monologue in the movie is delivered by Streep about how the color cerulean came to be part of American fashion in the year 2002. She really made me care about couture.

That's right people...I have found my inner fashionista and she's ready to go shopping! Wanna come?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't pay retail! All the movie clothes (the ACTUAL clothes) are for sale on Ebay! ;)

http://tinyurl.com/jc8cm

Tracy said...

Thanks for the link, Susan! That's so cool that they're auctioning the acutal items. Too bad I'm not a size 4! ;)

Anonymous said...

Size 4 and RICH!! :) Can you imagine not only paying for Prada or Gucci, but paying for it after its been worn by Meryl Streep? Yikes!

J said...

I doubt Merl Streep is still a size 4, btw. :)

Saw the movie, and I liked it, but I didn't think the scenes without Streep held up. I was bored a few times. Ted, however, REALLY liked it. He saw Superman Returns last week, and he liked Prada better. :) I didn't see Superman, so I can't compare. Fun movie, though!

Anonymous said...

The movie was great. I went off to Target and tried to copy the fashions on the movie, with what they had. That was so much fun.