Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Fessing up and ouch, it hurts!

I was so hoping to be able to say that I at least lost one pound this week, but alas, when I stepped on the scale this morning, it told me that I had gained one! AHHH!

Now I have 16 pounds to go! Okay, I know, it's probably just water weight or something, but still! I wonder if it has anything to do with the caramel corn I ate yesterday. :)

As much as it pains my ego to do this, I am going to write every Tuesday about my progress (or lack thereof) in Operation: String Bikini. This kind of accountability can only help.

Of all the advice I've been given to make weight loss and better health my new reality, I think the best has been this: commit to it. If I want to lose weight, I need to commit to it, and not just think about it. And for me, the only way I can commit to it is by being very specific about how I will make this happen.

I think the first specific thing I can do is a little menu planning. So starting today, I am going to write down what I can eat and when, and I will not stray from it. I am commiting to do this for the next week. I'll let you know my results next Tuesday! Thanks for your support.

In other important news, I found out my Sesame Street personality (thanks, Cherry!):

You Are Ernie

Playful and childlike, you are everyone's favorite friend - even if your goofy antics get annoying at times.

You are usually feeling: Amused - you are very easily entertained

You are famous for: Always making people smile. From your silly songs to your wild pranks, you keep things fun.

How you life your life: With ease. Life is only difficult when your friends won't play with you!

8 comments:

Cherry said...

Yay! not a Cookie Monster! I think Ernie sounds just about right.

Although your scale tells you one thing, what does your body tell you?

I like that you are writing about Operation Bikini, and I agree that by writing about it there is a sense of accountability (perhaps that is why I haven't written about it but keep thinking I will). I'm going to use you as a motivator and commit too.

Thanks!

J said...

I was thinking about this the other day...if even THINKING of a sin is a sin, then thinking about losing weight should be enough, right? ;)

I've been working out every week day for just over a week, and no cheetos in my house, and not one pound lost either. Sigh. If you had lost 5 lbs or something, I might have had to hit you, so maybe it's for the best.

Have you been exercising more? I've heard that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're turning fat into muscle, there is a short term weight gain, but the muscle burns more calories than fat, so in the longer term, it will come off. That's the theory, at least.

Good luck with reaching your goal! Remember, slow and steady wins the race...

J said...

I don't think I want to publicize this on my blog...I got Bert. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I was Bert. And how!!

Beenzzz said...

I got Big Bird.........yikes! :)

Don't worry, if you step on the scale one week from today, I bet you'll have lost a few pounds. My body will put on a pound or two before it gives in and releases te weight. Bodies can be so STUBBORN!!!

ML said...

I'm Bert also :)

Everyone is right, Starshine. What Cherry said about how you feel or how your clothes fit is important as well. And it's true, bodies are STUBBORN!

I read somewhere that if you fail to plan, then plan to fail. So your idea about menu planning is the way to go!

Behind ya all the way!

Ginger said...

Yes, my weigh-in this week also showed a gain. It's like that for me up one week, down th next for a slow net loss. I get discouraged, though. Hang in there. Keep thinking about Hawaii. Next week should be better.

Buttercup said...

Starshine - Check out this free online fitness diary: http://www.fitday.com/

I just started it two days ago and it's actually been rather helpful. It's kept me away from the vending machine so far today. Also, gaining weight is not necessarily bad. Muscle weighs more than fat, so as you get healthier and put on some more muscle, you can expect to gain a bit of weight. But, then that muscle will increase your metabolism and that will help you burn more fat so it will then go down.... Stay focused!! It's very brave of you to post every tuesday about it. You can also make this fitness journal public....