Thursday, January 08, 2009

2009: Year of the Veggie

My new year's resolution is to change my lifestyle to a vegetarian one.  In a move of solidarity, Hubs has been eating veggie with me for the first two weeks of the new year. We've done a ton of our cooking and eating at home because it's hard to find truly healthful vegetarian options in restaurants. Today, though, we decided to venture out for lunch. Hubs did an online search for vegetarian restaurants in our area, and he found The Happy Veggie Garden--a Chinese restaurant that has a vast array of vegetarian dishes.

The Happy Veggie Garden is located in Rowland Heights, but we felt like we had arrived in China. All of the signage for all of the businesses was bilingual, and as we walked inside the restaurant, we felt pretty certain that ours was the only conversation going on in English.

The service was friendly and the food was DELICIOUS! We decided before we left the table that we would definitely be going back to that restaurant another time or two before we move to Texas. After a week of eating veggie, we're doing pretty well--no major meat cravings! I feel better (less full all the time), and I hope it will be a lifestyle change that will lead to better overall fitness.


5 comments:

J said...

Yay to veggies! Pay attention to your body and its changes...some people do really well on an all veggie diet, and some people find themselves droopy and need the extra protein boost that comes from meat. Maya tried going veggie a few years ago, and she was droopy and pale and had circles under her eyes. Partly because she didn't want to eat a lot of the non-meat proteins, I think. And my step-mom was a vegetarian for YEARS, and when she started menopause, her body changed enough that she needed meat. She still doesn't eat red meat, just fish and chicken once or twice a week. So pay attention, esp when you're ready to try for a baby. Big changes in the body then. :)

Cool that you found such a delicious place to enjoy Chinese food!

Anonymous said...

I just chuckled to myself a little b/c you're becoming a vegetarian just as you move to TEXAS! Heehee! The capital of meat eating!!! Good for you! I tried a veggie diet for awhile before I got pregnant. Then I could NOT stop craving red meat, but that only lasted for the pregnancy. And there are lots of REALLY delicious vegetarian Indian restaurants, if you like Indian food! Way to go!

Katie said...

How cool! Best of luck on your resolution.

Anonymous said...

I'll go eat a burger for you. : )

Anonymous said...

I like vegetarian dishes both chinese and indian. But I also like beef, chicken and fish. I'd like to find a better balance between :)