Thursday, February 11, 2010

9 Chickweed Lane

I'm not typically interested in comics, but one day, when I was surfing the net, Yahoo featured a comic called 9 Chickweed Lane. The title of the comic intrigued me and the premise captured my imagination--it chronicles the lives of 3 generations of women in the same family.

Currently, the grandmother of the tribe is in the hospital with a long recovery, and she's recounting to her daughter the story of how she and her husband met. She was a USO girl during WWII, and he was in the Army. It is a touching story that has me checking in daily to hear the next installment. (Click on image below to enlarge.)


If you have too much time on your hands and you feel like reading through the recent archives, you may find yourself captivated by a genre that has never before interested you. I am a sucker for generational stories, and I love that this one is about the women in the family. And just to add an interesting twist to the whole thing, it is authored/drawn by a man!

It reads a little bit like a romance novel, but with more substance and wit. Just like in a good book, I began to care about these characters early on, and now I find myself checking in on their story and following their journey....

6 comments:

Sharon said...

It is a good strip. It's been around for a while. Glad you found it.

canknitian said...

HALLELUJAH! Someone else loves this strip and this storyline! I've been reading Chickweed for a couple of years and love that the stories have plot, pacing, suspense, beautiful images and lots of fun. The characters are almost all well-rounded, quirky, intelligent folks that I imagine out there, living their lives, as we write and read these words.

Dana Cheryl said...

Very cool! Thank you for introducing me to something totally new!!

J said...

I love the comics. :) I haven't seen this one before, I don't think. But it looks lovely.

Dana Cheryl said...

Happy Valentines Day Tracy!!

Oh and a happy one to you too, jellyjules! I've been outta the blogging loop for a while. Good to see you!

Amber said...

Yay!!! I have been ready Chickweed Lane since Edna and Amos were in High School love...if you love this search for Pigborn, his 'fantasy stip'...very cool