Thursday, March 02, 2006

My Favorite Ten Movies of All Time:

The Sound of Music – This movie is my all-time favorite! It’s got great music, a great storyline and great actors. If you ever have a chance to attend a sing-along version, I highly recommend it (thanks, Clint)! My favorite scene is when Maria and the Captain partner for the Viennese folk dance and she blushes in his arms. Movie magic. True love.

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – Good, clean fun! Nine years after this movie came out, I saw Matthew Broderick in How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying on Broadway. I waited by the stage door after the show to catch a glimpse of him, along with several other star-gazers. After much waiting, he emerged. The star-struck gazers just stared. No one said anything, so I shouted, right out loud, “I love you, Ferris Bueller!” to which he responded, “Uh, thanks.” Was I a dork? Oh, yeah! Would I have done that moment any differently if given the chance? Heck, no!!!

Life is Beautiful – Roberto Begnini is brilliant in this amazing movie that mixes comedy with tragedy to tell the story of a loving Jewish family sent to a concentration camp.

Sense and Sensibility – Ang Lee’s beautiful movie rendition of Jane Austen’s much-loved novel. It adeptly explores the age-old question of how to find the balance of keeping both a guarded and a vulnerable heart in matters of love.

The Princess Bride – A touching and hilarious fairytale. Too many funny moments to mention. Watch out for the R.O.U.S.es! Best line from this film: “No more rhyming! I mean it!...Anybody want a peanut?”

Mary Poppins – This movie is sheer joy! I started watching it as a child and I continue to watch it as an adult. It is so much fun to watch this movie with kids! Great singing and dancing. I still fall in love with Uncle Albert every time I watch the “I Love to Laugh!” scene.

The Parent Trap (original version) – Disney really found a gold nugget when they discovered Hailey Mills. She is great playing identical twin sisters separated as infants when their parents divorced. They meet each other at summer camp and we get to sit back and enjoy their pranks as they scheme to get their feuding parents back together again.

Legally Blonde – If you are ever having a bad day, and need a wakeup call to tell you that YOU ARE FABULOUS, this is the movie for you. It’s got a great sound track, a fun plot, and Reese Witherspoon’s comic genius. If you haven’t seen this movie because you thought the title was stupid, you are in for a real treat! True confession: I would consider naming my daughter "Elle" after the main character of this film. I'm telling you...she's an inspiration!

Bridget Jones’ Diary – I love movies that give you a flawed character to root for. Bridget Jones is just that. Genuine to the core and on a quest to find Mr. Right, you’ll love her vulnerability and root for her to the end!

The Passion of the Christ – This is a wonderful and sad movie about Jesus Christ’s journey to the cross starting in the Garden of Gethsemane and the triumph of His resurrection. Most of the movie depicts His suffering on behalf of us sinners. Be warned—it is very difficult to watch. One time was enough for me. Seeing what Jesus was willing to endure to save me was a moving experience. It made a personal impact on me when I was watching and thinking that he would have endured all of that just for me if I were the only human on the planet. What love!

No comments: