Monday, April 24, 2006

Blissful Day of Rest

Yesterday, I felt like I got a true Sabbath. I woke up around 7:30am and started thinking about all the things that I needed to do, but the one thing I wanted to do more than any other was stay right where I was, all snug in my bed. My next thought was “But you need to…”, which was quickly interrupted by the next one, which was, “This is your day of rest. Just rest.” So I did. I went back to sleep and didn’t feel even a twinge of guilt for continuing my slumber until 10:30.

Then I talked on the phone to my neighbor who invited me to come over for a nutritious breakfast of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. I had four. We sat around eating our cookies and talking about life until it was after noon. It was at that point that my neighbor said something that men everywhere will never understand—“I feel like having a good cry. Let’s rent The Notebook.” Women everywhere know that if you need a good cry, The Notebook is just what the doctor ordered. We sat on the couch stuffing popcorn into our mouths as tears streamed down our cheeks. Good soul-cleansing stuff.

By the time the movie was over, it was 3:45 pm. Since we realized that we had effectively done, well, not much of anything all day, we decided to go for a power walk. Then we went to church. I love that my church has an evening service. Evening church services are God’s way of telling people who don’t do mornings, “I understand”. Lord, we night owls thank You!

2 comments:

Autumn's Mom said...

What a wonderful restful day :) I totally love a good cry too. Mine is Steel Magnolias. Very theraputic! :) Have a great week Tracy!!

TomScot said...

Men do cry. It's just that when they do it's taken for a sign of weakness. So, when they cry, they cry alone in the dark. I'm happy that you liked "my wild beautiful bird" I am enjoying exploring your blog.