Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Maybe it was then...

When I was in high school, I had a somewhat bizarre obsession with preppiness. I regularly consulted The Official Preppy Handbook for fashion advice, and I even applied to prep schools in New England. Both the Handbook and my Dad informed me that the turtleneck was the quintessential preppy shirt. Maybe it was then that turtlenecks became my preferred style of shirt.

Or maybe it was when I was in preschool, and my mom bought me a blue, velour turtleneck sweater. I wasn’t wild about it at first, but I remember taking a cozy, winter nap in it and feeling comforted by it once when I was sick. Yeah, it was probably then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love turtlenecks, but I admit that I'm trying to wean myself from them now. Apparently the ribbed turtleneck and jeans became my signature winter uniform for the last 5 years. I still love them, but I don't need one of every color anymore.

Also, back in the 80's and 90's, I couldn't stand the look of a sweater or a sweatshirt without a collar or turtleneck popping out. Yea i'm done with that look too. But my mom... she's all turtlenecks all winterlong.

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of turtlenecks, but I don't think it's because I'm preppy.