Thursday, October 30, 2008

Days 8 and 9 - San Sebastian: Crown Jewel of Spain

Four years ago, my best friend Anne and I celebrated our 30th birthdays by going to San Sebastian. It is an adorable city on the Bay of Biscay. 


The charm just doesn't stop in this sweet town. San Sebastian is a horseshoe bay with an island out in the middle of it. 

While I wouldn't trade my 30th birthday celebration with my bestie for anything, the thought did occur to me those four years ago that San Sebastian is a bit like Venice or Paris...awesome to be there with your friend, but the city is meant for lovers. So ever since my first visit, I have had a little dream to return to San Sebastian one day with my husband, should I ever marry.


How lovely to have a dream come true! 

Oct. 13-14:  San Sebastian is in the Basque Country region of Spain, just across the border from France. So while it is a distinctly Basque/Spanish city, there is a fair amount of French influence.


Hubs and I had a great time wandering around the city, sitting at this outdoor cafe,


and seeing another beautiful cathedral...


...with stunning stained glass windows...


We also enjoyed wandering around the "Barrio Viejo", the old town section of the city, where we enjoyed a delicious dinner one night.





What is a charming seaside town without a charming boardwalk? I couldn't get over these beautiful street lamps that created the perfect setting for an evening stroll with my sweetie.


This is the fashion portion of the post. One day, we found ourselves out and about and nowhere near our hotel, and it got chilly, so Hubs bought this sporty blue hoody...


...and I bought this groovy striped sweater at H&M, one of my fave European stores (which is now in the US!).


One of my favorite moments of our entire trip was this dreary, drizzly morning. We woke up and decided to take a stroll on the beach. The misting rain didn't even matter. It was just a perfect moment with my love.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

All of those pics are fabulous, but what I really wanted to say was that I like Brian's new sunglasses. Besides, whoever found your glasses at Disney is probably really happy your a "leaver". : )

J said...

I love the beautiful architecture in Europe. SOOOO pretty. And walks in the rain are so romantic...

You're a sunglasses 'leaver' too? That's why I rarely pay over $10 for mine. I always lose them.

Tracy said...

Between Hubs and I, we have probably replaced at least four pairs of sunglasses during our first year and a half of marriage. We're quirky that way.

I really hope he doesn't lose his new aviators, though! I like them, too, Jilly! He bought them in Zaragoza on the same street where I bought my wedding dress!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place! I'm glad you got your romantic dream come true.

Ginny said...

How fun to get to have a dream come true like that. I have a dream just like that about Nigril, Jamaica! I hope to take Kevin there one day. I had fun with friends, but it really is a lovers place!!!

I love all the gorgeous cathedrals and stained-glass windows! How amazing to get to see all this twice! So jealous. :)

Call me Katie said...

I LOVE H&M and San Sabastien. I went there about 5 1/2 years ago when I was studying in Salamanca. It's been so fun reading about your reunion with Espana!

Genevieve said...

what beautiful shots...I'm so envious, hahaa!