Monday, August 10, 2009

Reunited and it Feels so Goo-ood!

I didn't really intend to be posting so sparsely in recent days. My only real excuse is that life got in the way, and to be honest, that's a good thing. I worry a little bit about myself sometimes that I spend so time on the internet that I might be missing out on "real life".

Well, lately, there has been so much real life going on!  In late July, Brian and I took a trip out to California for a friend's wedding. We thought that as long as we were going to be back in LA, we might as well make it a vacation!  It was so nice being back in a temperate climate.

As soon as we pulled away from the airport in our rental car, we drove straight to the beach!  We splashed and body surfed at Laguna Beach, and the next day we rented boogie boards and played in the water at Sunset Beach (I love that beach!).




Normally, I would be judging myself for looking a little heavier than I'd like to be in the above photo, but not tonight!  Brian and I just got home from seeing the wonderful movie Julie and Julia. If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it. Meryl Streep is flawless as Julia Child. The food in the movie was awesome and it looked so delicious that my mouth is watering just thinking about it!  What I loved about the portrayal of Julia Child in the film is that she was a statuesque woman who absolutely loved food!  While I am no culinary genius, I do appreciate good food.  I have also found that as lovely as a slender figure looks on a woman, I find a full-figured, statuesque woman to be a lovelier physical ideal.  So to heck with self-loathing!  Today, I am embracing my build and loving myself as I am.

In the spirit of the love of delicious food, we made a stop at the Crystal Cove Shake Shack, an Orange County roadside institution, known for its incredible milkshakes. I ordered a shake locals call the "monkey flip": a vanilla shake with chocolate, peanut butter, dates and banana. All I can say is, "Yum."


The beach bum in the car with me ain't too shabby either!


More on our vacation to come soon!

4 comments:

J said...

Yay to loving your body for what it is! Some women are naturally tiny and thin, some women are naturally more statuesque. I hate that so many people try to force their bodies to do what they do not want to do. So much unhappiness, so many "monkey flips" missed out on in life! Julia's husband didn't seem to wish she were tinier, and your beach bum seems happy with your figure, whether you are or not. ;)

I also loved Julie and Julia, and I have an answer of sorts to the question you left on my blog, about Julia not liking Julie: http://juliepowell.blogspot.com/

That's Julie Powell's current blog, btw. The post to look for is at the top as I send this, but it's dated 8/10 if she posts something new.

Autumn's Mom said...

I love you Tracy! That beach looks so inviting. Sounds like a good visit. Life is for the living and I think you are doing a pretty good job at it :)

xoxo

Dana Cheryl said...

Sunset Beach is the best! What a fun trip!! I'm glad that you've been out there enjoying life as it happens. Good for you!

I'm planning a trip to LA (also for a wedding) so I'll be needing advice on where to go & what to do.

Sharon said...

I think that we all learn to get more comfortable in our own skin as we get older. All this wisdom would have saved me a lot of grief in my 20s. Bon Appetite!