Monday, March 01, 2010

Restraint is HOT!

Last weekend, some friends got together for a girls' night to watch the BBC/A&E five hour version of Pride and Prejudice.

Image found here.

What a great film! I'm amazed at how relevant some of the themes of this movie still are today, and how wonderfully rich the characters and story are.

My friend Catherine and I stared at the screen transfixed by Mr. Darcy's delicious gentlemanliness. Now that was a man of integrity! He was honest, a man of his word, one who could own his failures and apologize for them, and still be someone who stood strong for the things he believed were right.

Watching the movie was so different from watching the romantic comedies of today. We have grown so accustomed to seeing every other character fall into bed together that we've become desensitized to it. I was struck when watching Pride and Prejudice that the steamiest thing to happen between the protagonists was their first kiss after they were married!

As I pondered the thing that made Mr. Darcy so darn sexy, it was simply that he had stellar character.

When Brian and I were engaged, we were amused at how often people were taken completely by surprise when they would find out that we weren't living together. It was just assumed by so many people that we would be cohabiting. And really, why would people think differently? That has become the norm in our culture.

I'll never forget Brian telling me why "saving it" for marriage was so important to him (and yes, it was important to me, too): "This is my one opportunity to prove to you that I have self-control. You are the love of my life, and by abstaining now, you will know that after we are married, I have the self-control to save my love for only you."

I loved that logic. It wasn't self-righteous--it was totally selfless and affirming of me! My man was determined to love me with restraint in order to reveal his character, and to me that was HOT, HOT, HOT!

As Lizzie Bennett might say, "Indeed, I have married exceedingly well!"

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Ah yes, My dear Mrs. O: You have indeed married exceedingly well. I am prodigiously proud of you!

Kim said...

Right. I agree! Then again, I'm not like the rest of society-I'm a Christian.

J said...

I remember reading the "Little House" books, and Laura and Almonzo shared their first kiss AFTER he asked her to marry him and gave her a ring.

I think you have married exceedingly well also. When you find someone who shares your values, your dreams and hopes, and also makes you laugh and is HOT to boot, that's a recipe for a wonderful life together.

Dana Cheryl said...

I love that you have your own personal Mr. Darcy. Every girl deserves one. :)

I remember reading & re-reading the book where Almonzo & Laura starting courting. My family read them together one particular snowy winter. Such great memories!