Thursday, March 09, 2006

Encouragement for the Journey

About a year ago, I was trying to decide on what the next chapter of life would be. Should I stay in Houston, move back to New York, or move to Los Angeles? I didn’t want to make a hasty decision, because I didn’t want to look back with any regrets. I took my time, prayed, tried to listen to God’s voice for direction, and had many conversations with close friends as I waited for God to open a door. In the past, God usually directed me by swinging doors wide open before me, but this time it was different. I sensed that God’s message to me was, “It’s time for you to grow up a little, and make this decision. Exercise that free will I have given you. You have prayed, and I have heard you. Now decide, and I will go with you. Trust that I am keeping you in the center of my will.” That began a new chapter for God and me. He walked me through that step of faith in a different way. It was scarier because the choice I needed to make wasn’t as obvious as it had been before.

The thing that brought me the most encouragement during that season of waiting was a cassette tape (thanks, Mom!) that I had in my car. It was a tape of Bible verses set to music—sung Scripture. Songs have a tendency to get stuck in my head, so it was a total blessing to have God’s word playing constantly in my mind during that time.

Some of the verses that really encouraged my heart were:

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21

“For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:11-13

Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Psalm 25:4-5

Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies— make straight your way before me. Psalm 5:8

I hope they encourage you today, as well, right where you are in your journey.

No comments: