Monday, August 06, 2007

"If only I could go back and relive those years with the experience I have now!"

Last night, Hubs and I had the opportunity to attend the wedding of a couple who are 23 or 24 years old. It was a beautiful wedding at a seaside resort in south Orange County. They looked so happy, so in love, and so young!

Hubs turned 40 right before our wedding and I was 32 . I think both of us were musing about what it would have been like for us to have met ten years earlier...oh, to have had those years together--to not have been alone for so long!

We were talking about it on the way home. I mentioned that while I think I would have been able to get married and stay married at 23 years old, I didn't personally have the maturity at the time to do it well. Then we talked about all of the wonderful experiences we had during our single years. He lived in Romania for two years, spent a couple summers in Italy, and led a college ministry team in Miami. I got to go to acting school in NYC, travel around the country as an actress doing shows, and spend a year living in Spain. All incredible experiences that would not have been as easily accomplished had we been married.

We talked about how many times in life we have said, "If only I could go back and relive such-and-such season of life with the experience that I have now!" And we suddenly had the fun realization that by marrying later in life, we are being afforded that fantastic blessing. We are having the newlywed experience as thirty- and forty-somethings!

The timing we would have chosen for us to meet wasn't God's timing, but He clearly has His reasons, and it's just nice when you can stumble upon one of them unexpectedly. Thank You, Lord!

9 comments:

Autumn's Mom said...

Yes, you want to have all the more time together..but still be the people you've grown into today. I think you will have many many happy years together.

Anonymous said...

It's funny, my husband and I also married "later" than the average age (whatever that is). People think I am strange for saying that I would not have done it much differently. I would not trade the time I had in Miami before I was married, the people I met, experiences I had were all from God. And then when the time was right, it was time for my husband! I also would not trade him for anything in the world! So the way I look at it we, as you and your husby have had double the blessings!

J said...

Ted and I met when I was 21, he was 22....we married when I was 27, he was 28. I wouldn't trade those years with him, of course, but I might have joined the Peace Corps if I hadn't been involved with someone who wasn't interested in going. So I am glad for the timing I had, but I do know that it has helped to shape my life in many ways.

Selba said...

It would nice when we are already at the point where we can look back and have the answer to our life. As for me, I'm 33 years old now and still single (hardly even go out for a date these days because.... the good ones have been taken? hehehe *j/k*) and the road of life still looks so long and unpredictable. I wish I could settle down yet with my age right now.

Sharon said...

I think it's well worth the wait. As you well know, my husband and I met well into our 30s and every day is a blessing with not regrets. I don't know that we were "ready" for each other before God brought together.

Beenzzz said...

I think it depends on the person. D. and I married when I was 22 and he was 27. We dated for exactly 6 months before we married. We were young and poor! To top it off, I became pregnant 6 months AFTER we got married. So, everything was fast and furious is our relationship. We truly grew up together and you know, I think it made us so much stronger for all of it. Here we are 13 years later, with our 11 almost 12 year old daughter, and happy.

ML said...

I got married at 36 and quite frankly, I'm glad I waited that long. I was too emotionally immature to handle much when I was younger.

Ginger said...

My husband and I went to the same University but didn't meet until after we had both finished. I think if we had met earlier we would not have meshed so well. God knew of course, what he was doing, even if I didn't.

Dana Cheryl said...

Hi there! I'm just a random girl that happened upon your blog several months ago. I was struck by our similarities... We the same age. We're both devoted to the Lord. We're both living a long, long way from home. And we both know what sweet tea is!! :) Now after the rambling intro let me first say congrats as well as thank you. I really appreciate this post and the related comments. Being single and thirty-something has really started "freaking me out" lately. Reading the last several posts and comments was a much needed virtual deep breath. No need to panic. God is in control! Most of my friends are married and they struggle to understand where I am in life. I'm relieved to know that there are others that get it and that there's hope! God's timing is the best. Thanks for the reminder. Thanks for letting me "crash" your blog!!

Again Congratulations!! Your story inspires me!!!

Cheers, Dana